Don’t submit your Energy Performance Certificate after your tariff application

From the 1st April, the Government is proposing that properties fitting solar pv installations to claim the FiT tariff will have to meet a minimum Band ‘D’ energy efficiency level.

Otherwise, the tariff paid is reduced.

What might catch some households out is thinking they can apply for the tariffs and submit their EPC afterwards.

If you do, you’ll only be awarded the lower tariff and that won’t be upgraded to the full tariff later. So it’s imperative to get your EPC before you submit your tariff application.

You can find more feed-in tariff questions and answers on the Governments DECC website here.

photo credit: dave hosford


Solar panels will help you meet Band D tariff criteria

I’m indebted to Business Green for confirming, what many, in the Solar PV industry had been suggesting would be the case.

According to them, installing solar PV panels that contribute to your home achieving the minimum band ‘D’ energy performance certificate will then be eligible for the solar tariffs.

So some band ‘E’ properties will be able to upgrade their property’s energy performance and qualify for the tariffs without having to do any further energy improvement work.

It should be remembered that households will still have to produce a minimum band ‘D’ certificate before they can apply for the solar tariffs so there may be a gap between paying for your solar installation and claiming the FiT payment.

Also, the banding eligibility situation could be tightened at any time and new FiT claimants could find themselves having to upgrade to a band ‘C’ before their solar panels installation is eligible.

The recent new tariff announcements / proposals for the 1st April onwards demonstrate that things are liable to change all to quickly.

photo credit: zimpenfish