Log burning stove safety at Christmas

Nothing quite like sitting round a glowing warm fire, especially at Christmas, but as one safety guide points out, throwing your Christmas wrapping paper on the fire is a bad idea.

The problem comes from the build up of creosote in chimneys, caused by burning un-seasoned wood or burning at low temperatures for long periods.

Paper thrown onto the fire can light and then float up the chimney setting fire to these creosote deposits.

It’s one thing having the family around for Christmas dinner but quite another to have a houseful of Fire-fighters so take care.

photo credit: aussiegold

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *