Research by the Gas Safe Register discovered that last year, over 100,000 home improvement projects left homes with dangerous and in some cases even illegal gas work, of which the homeowners had no knowledge.
Fitted kitchens and bathrooms, heating installations etc all accounted for, in some cases, potentially explosive situations.
Unsuspecting families were also left with work that put them at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and gas leaks after booking tradesmen that subcontracted work to unregistered and illegal gas fitters.
The problem, say the Gas Safe Register, is that in most instances, families are unaware that anything is wrong, until it’s potentially too late.
Now they’re advising any homeowner or individual to check the credentials of any tradesmen working on their property, who should always be Gas Safe registered.
This includes homeowners who think they can move internal gas pipes themselves in a spot of DIY plumbing. In the event of an insurance claim, it may be the first thing your insurer asks to see – proof of Gas Safe registration – before paying out on a damage claim.
Gas Safe registered members carry a Gas Safe registration ID card, which you should ask to see. The Gas Safe Register replaced the old CORGI scheme in 2010 and is the only official list of gas engineers legally able to perform gas work on boilers, hobs, ovens, fires and all other gas appliances and associated plumbing.
This article first appeared in our weekly homeowner newsletter dated 21st June 2011. Click here to read the full home improvement quotes newsletter.